We all think of summer and winter as the times of the year when we need to care for our skin the most. We recognize the need to protect it from the July sun and the dry days of January. But what about fall? You're about to spend those afternoons outside at the orchard or walking through the woods. Or turning on the heat in your house for the first time this year.
So, as you're getting ready to pick the perfect pumpkin, fall is the ideal time for a few quick skin care reminders.
- Drink Water - Yes, you can still enjoy your pumpkin spice latte, but don't forget to drink your water. H2O is one of your skin's best friends. Not only is it essential for flushing out harmful toxins and keeping your cells healthy, but water also helps reduce wrinkles and soft lines as well. Additionally, water promotes skin elasticity and helps provide you with a good pH balance. When it comes to acne, dark circles, and puffiness, all of these conditions can be made worse by a simple lack of water.
- Don't Cut Your Beauty Sleep Short - Seriously. - Our skin restores and repairs while sleeping. Remember, the less sleep we get, the less time our skin has to repair.
- Skip the DIY At Home Treatments - We want the best for your and your skin. Yes, DIY beauty increased significantly while spas were closed, but the demand for in-person services is back. Don't risk damaging your skin. Seek professional services, education, and recommendations. Fall is the perfect time to remove the summer sun damage and start a series of micro-needling treatments, chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and photo rejuvenation treatments.
- Skip the Hot Shower - Hot water strips the skin of natural oils and can leave your skin feeling dry and itchy.
- Use a Cream of Milk Cleanser - Washing your face is an essential part of your daily routine. Made from natural fats and water, cream or milk cleansers cleanse the skin without stripping the natural oils that protect your face. It will leave your skin feeling refreshed and moisturized without being harsh or drying out your face. If you're prone to acne, a milk cleanser may not be for you, so ask your esthetician before you try one out. We recommend Phytomer’s Souffle Marin Cleansing Foaming Cream.
- Add Serums - Serums are a must-have for any skincare routine. From hydrating serums to serums with vitamin C and retinol, the goal is simple. Serums penetrate deeper than other options and contain higher concentrations of the ingredients your skin needs to help address your specific skin concerns. Each serum is different, so choosing the best one for you depends on what your skin goals are.
- Eye Love - Seasonal Fall allergies can cause puffy, swollen eyes that need a little extra TLC. We love applying the Obagi Elastiderm Eye Serum. It's a rollerball action, so it's easy to apply and delivers amazing results. We also recommend using a cold roller to stimulate circulation and decrease puffiness.
- Switch Up Your Moisturizer - You've heard us say this before! If your product looks or smells different, or it has started to separate, it's probably best to toss it out and start fresh. Shelf life varies from product to product, but once you've opened a product, it won't last forever. And, if you're putting it on your face or skin, you want to make sure it's safe and effective, right? Fall is an excellent time for moisturizing, and our clients love Phytomer’s Expert Youth and Nutritionnelle creams!
- Love Your Lips and Hands - Who wants dry, cracked lips and rough hands? Not me. As the leaves and temperatures begin to change, so will the needs of your lips and hands. Make sure that as part of your skincare routines, you include these in your daily rituals. Two of our favorites are BeeSpa Hand Cream and the Youthful Lip Replenisher from Revision.
- Plugin Your Humidifier - Low humidity can deplete the skin's natural moisture barriers. The air is about to get cooler and drier, and your skin will be one of the first to notice the transition. Along with all of the other tips above, using a humidifier is a great way to prepare for the season's changes and give you healthy, glowing skin. It will help you rehydrate your skin and improve those natural moisture barriers that help prevent peeling, cracking, and dryness.
You may be thinking ahead toward winter and your favorite sweater, but now is the perfect time to create a strong fall skin care foundation. As you're sipping the cider and enjoying those last few bonfires of the season, make sure you're also protecting the skin you're in.
Questions? Reach out anytime for our best skin care advice.